About the role
Major areas include sale and purchase of businesses and companies (including some very high profile digital business sales to listed media companies), shareholders agreements, licensing arrangements and estate planning for high net worth individuals. Clients vary from small business operators to listed companies and wealthy individuals in a range of industries. Dental industry, IT, health and medical industry, wholesalers, transport and professional services feature regularly.
Would suit someone who has good people skills, is a fast and clear thinker, drafts well in plain English, who is open and upfront about what they want, likes to have fun in the office and is a self-starter willing to meet the clients’ needs and budget.
Excellent remuneration based on experience and performance. Great benefits including flexibility, mobile phone, some travel to conferences, client lunches, fundraising dinners etc.
Hours are better than bigger firms but work is just as interesting with much more direct client contact.
Excellent long term prospects for someone who can build a client following and is interested in business development.
About Harris Freidman
We are well known for friendly and supportive client service, our down-to-earth attitude and our strategic and commercially astute advice. Our culture is based on respect, integrity, professionalism and teamwork. We have a transparent, honest, relaxed and friendly workplace. Suitable candidates will talk to our staff to verify how good it is to work here.
Commercial Lawyer needed to provide practical and commercial legal advice and document preparation. Experience giving advice to commercial people is preferred but may not be essential.
Draft and review contracts
Draft legal documents ranging from simple to complex, with and without precedents. Review drafting by less experienced lawyers. Shareholders Agreements, Share Sale Agreements, Sale of Business Agreements, Employment and Contractor Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Licensing Agreements, Deeds of Assignment of Intellectual Property, Joint Venture Agreements, Deeds of Release, Indemnity Deeds.
Negotiate contracts by phone, email and in person to secure the best position for our client whilst understanding that a commercial attitude is critical. As required, advise on the performance of and/or the termination of commercial arrangements. Identify significant issues, take a strategic approach to negotiations and work unsupervised.
- Minimum 2 years post admission commercial law and/or estate planning experience.
- Must have experience in drafting and reviewing commercial agreements
- Employment law experience highly regarded.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise effectively and meet deadlines.
- Highly motivated individual who can work independently as well as within a team.
- Must exercise independent judgement, be able to assess each task on its circumstances and tailor legal documents as appropriate. Must be able to advise clients on commercial risks and when to press for and give up on issues.
- Must not rely solely on precedents and must be able to draft clauses from scratch. The role will not suit someone who relies strongly on precedents or just fills in schedules. Clients’ needs are often “bespoke” and require significant drafting and consideration of relevant issues.
- To be eligible for this position you must have an appropriate visa to work in Australia
Please send your application to Jonathan Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org)