1. What is a Business Name?
Is a name or title which you conduct your business under in Australia.
2. Do I need to register my business name?
If you are trading using your own name then you do not need to register a business name. For example, if you are:
- a sole trader trading under your own name i.e. John Smith trading as ‘John Smith’; or
- a company trading under your name i.e. John Smith Pty Ltd trading as ‘John Smith Pty Ltd’, you do not need to register a business name.
If you are trading using a name that is not the same as your own, you do need to register a business name. For example, if your name is John Smith and you are trading as ‘John Smith Electrician’ you will need to register that business name.
3. How do I register my business name?
You can apply online at www.asic.gov.au.
4. How long does registration last?
You can choose to register your business name for 1 year or 3 years. You can also renew your business name after the period has expired.
5. What area does the registration cover?
The registration covers all of Australia.
6. What happens if the business name you want to trade under is already registered by someone else?
If you have already registered the business name as a trade mark you can take steps to stop the other person using your trade mark as their business name.If you have not registered it as a trade mark, you will need to register a different business name.
Written by Scott Freidman
(02) 9231 2466